My research focuses on understanding and supporting the interplay between curriculum development and teacher professional development, and often emphasizes the supportive role of technology in these processes. I am committed to exploring how educational research can serve the development of scientific understanding while also developing sustainable solutions to real problems in educational practice. Since educational design research lends itself to these dual aims, I also work on developing and explicating ways to conduct design research.
In addition to authoring numerous articles, I co-edited the book, Educational Design Research and, together with Tom Reeves, wrote the book, Conducting Educational Design Research. I currently serve as executive chair of the International Society for Design and Development in Education.
January 27: Twents Meesterschap: Passie in het onderwijs
May 25-27: ORD conference in Rotterdam
June 20-24: ICLS conference in Singapore
Sept 19-22: ISDDE conference in Utrecht, the Netherlands
Now available: Special issue in AJET on Educational Design Research in Post-Secondary Learning Environments
Now available: Special issue in Instructional Science on Teachers as Designers of Technology-Enhanced Learning
AECT Research and Theory Division outstanding book award 2013: Conducting Educational Design Research by Susan McKenney & Tom Reeves(London: Routledge, 2012).
November 24: Curriculum design workshop for ECOP/OU
Sept 22-25: ISDDE conference in Boulder, Colorado
August: EARLI (European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction) Symposium: Design Collaborations: Contexts for Researcher and Teacher Learning
June 17-19: ORD (Onderwijs Research Dagen) in Leiden, symposium on Docentontwerpteams: Hoe werken ze (niet) en waarom? [Teacher design teams: How do they (not) work and why?]
- April 16-20, 2015: AERA (American Educational Research Association) in Chicago, poster symposium on Teachers as Designers with Yael Kali, Joke Voogt, Ornit Sagy and others.
- November 19-20, 2014: Educational design research seminars in Bergen with the IMTE and Western Norway University Networks.
- October 27-30, 2014: Invited session at Elearn: Research-based design & design-based research: Affordances, limitations & synergies
- July 24, 2014: AECT-RTD Webinar on building a line of investigation through Educational Design Research, with Tom Reeves.
- June 23-27, 2014: International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS) in Boulder, Colorado.
Pre-conference workshop on Tightening Research-Practice Connections with Kim Gomez and Brian Reiser; Invited symposium on Teachers as Designers with Yael Kali, Joke Voogt, Ornit Sagy and others.
- December 1-2, 2013: Invited talk in London at Peducate: Participatory Design of the Future Building School, bringing designers, architects, historians, learning experts, teachers and students together to envision schools of the future.
- November 27-29, 2013: Keynote address and panel discussion at the European Association for Practitioner Research on Improving Learning (EAPRIL) Bienne/Biel, Switzerland.
- November 18, 2013: Keynote address at the European Agency for Development in Special Needs Education International Conference in Brussels.
- August 27-31, 2013: Invited panel and symposium at European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction Conference (EARLI) Munich
- June 12-18, 2013: International online masterclass: How to Conduct Educational Design Research at CELSTEC with Tom Reeves and Harini Raval welcomed students from 5 continents - core presentations available
- June 6-7, 2013: Keynote at the Swiss Centre for Innovations and Learning 5th international conference Lost in Transition: Pathways to successful learning in organizations
- March 28-29, 2013: Seminar at Ghent University: Researcher-practitioner collaboration in educational design research: Values, expectations, roles and outcomes
- January, 2013: Seminar at Hogeschool Zuyd: An introduction to Educational Design Research
- September, 2012: Doctoral seminar at CROSSFIELD, and invited talk at the University of St. Gallen's Institute for Business Education and Educational Management
- June, 2012: Invited seminar at FUNKEN (SPARKS), Dortmund's graduate school on didactical design research
- May, 2012: Keynote at Educational Design Research Conference in Twente
- April, 2012: EDUCAUSE ELI webinar
- February, 2012: Collaboration in India