My research focuses on understanding and supporting the interplay between curriculum development and teacher professional development, and often emphasizes the supportive role of technology in these processes. I am committed to exploring how educational research can serve the development of scientific understanding while also developing sustainable solutions to real problems in educational practice. Since educational design research lends itself to these dual aims, I also work on developing and explicating ways to conduct design research. In addition to authoring numerous articles, I co-edited the book, Educational Design Research and, together with Tom Reeves, wrote the book, Conducting Educational Design Research.
March 10: Invited talk at ACIN meeting on Design-based research vs Research-based design in polytech education, Amsterdam
March 16-17: Discussant at VELON in Amsterdam
March 22-24: Keynote address on Curriculum materials that support teachers and their learning at DariaTeach, Lausanne, Switzerland
April 21: Invited speaker at ALINA event on activating teaching methods and active learning spaces in higher education, Leuven, Belgium
May 18: Inaugural address, together with Adrie Visscher and ELAN symposium, University of Twente
May 31: Invited address for the Dutch Support Center for Teaching Schools (Steunpunt Opleidingsscholen), VO raad
June 5: Keynote address at SALTISE 2017, Montreal, Canada
June 21: Keynote address at the KPZ annual conference in Zwolle
June 28-30: Various presentations at the ORD in Antwerp
October 11-13: Keynote address for the “Developing competencies in learners" Scientific Research Community, Leuven Belgium
Your ideas welcome!
Preparations are underway for the 2nd Edition of Conducting Educational Design Research. Please email requests and recommendations!
Nearing completion: Special issue in the European Journal of Education on the Participatory Design of (Built) Learning Environments
Now available: Special issue in AJET on Educational Design Research in Post-Secondary Learning Environments
Now available: Special issue in Instructional Science on Teachers as Designers of Technology-Enhanced Learning
AECT Research and Theory Division outstanding book award 2013: Conducting Educational Design Research by Susan McKenney & Tom Reeves
January 7-10: Paper presentation on Balancing shared and vertical leadership: evaluating a model that supports team coaches in leading teacher design teams, with Floor Binkhorst, Cindy Poortman & Wouter van Joolingen at ICSEI, in Ottowa Canada
December 9: PhD seminar on educational design research at the University of Bremen
November 2-4: PhD workshop on design-based (implementation) research at the ICO Fall School
October 27: Masterclass on research-practice interactions for the Veluwse onderwijsgroep
Sept 19-22: ISDDE conference in Utrecht, the Netherlands
- June 20-24, 2016: Diverse presentations at ICLS conference in Singapore including:pre-conference workshop on research-practice partnerships with Bill Penuel, Phil Bell, Elizabeth Charles, Thérèse Laferrière, Alain Breuleux, Barry Fishman; paper presentaion on reseach-practice interactions with Jan van Aalst and Cory Forbes; paper presentation on designing science curricula for large scale implementation with Debra Bernstein, Brian Drayton & Chris Schunn; paper presentation with Harini Raval on teacher coaching in Indian schools
- May 25-27, 2016: Various presentations at ORD conference in Rotterdam including: pre-conference workshop for PhD students on academic writing; symposium on participatory design and the build learning environment, ICO theme group symposium on technology in the curriculum, and more.
- March 11, 2016: Guest lecture on educational design, University of Ghent
- January 27, 2016: Keynote presentation at Twents Meesterschap: Passie in het onderwijs
- November 24, 2015: Curriculum design workshop for ECOP/OU
- Sept 22-25, 2015: ISDDE conference in Boulder, Colorado
- August, 2015: EARLI (European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction) Symposium: Design Collaborations: Contexts for Researcher and Teacher Learning
- June 17-19, 2015: ORD (Onderwijs Research Dagen) in Leiden, symposium on Docentontwerpteams: Hoe werken ze (niet) en waarom? [Teacher design teams: How do they (not) work and why?]
- April 16-20, 2015: AERA (American Educational Research Association) in Chicago, poster symposium on Teachers as Designers with Yael Kali, Joke Voogt, Ornit Sagy and others.
- November 19-20, 2014: Educational design research seminars in Bergen with the IMTE and Western Norway University Networks.
- October 27-30, 2014: Invited session at Elearn: Research-based design & design-based research: Affordances, limitations & synergies
- July 24, 2014: AECT-RTD Webinar on building a line of investigation through Educational Design Research, with Tom Reeves.
- June 23-27, 2014: International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS) in Boulder, Colorado.
Pre-conference workshop on Tightening Research-Practice Connections with Kim Gomez and Brian Reiser; Invited symposium on Teachers as Designers with Yael Kali, Joke Voogt, Ornit Sagy and others.
- December 1-2, 2013: Invited talk in London at Peducate: Participatory Design of the Future Building School, bringing designers, architects, historians, learning experts, teachers and students together to envision schools of the future.
- November 27-29, 2013: Keynote address and panel discussion at the European Association for Practitioner Research on Improving Learning (EAPRIL) Bienne/Biel, Switzerland.
- November 18, 2013: Keynote address at the European Agency for Development in Special Needs Education International Conference in Brussels.
- August 27-31, 2013: Invited panel and symposium at European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction Conference (EARLI) Munich
- June 12-18, 2013: International online masterclass: How to Conduct Educational Design Research at CELSTEC with Tom Reeves and Harini Raval welcomed students from 5 continents - core presentations available
- June 6-7, 2013: Keynote at the Swiss Centre for Innovations and Learning 5th international conference Lost in Transition: Pathways to successful learning in organizations
- March 28-29, 2013: Seminar at Ghent University: Researcher-practitioner collaboration in educational design research: Values, expectations, roles and outcomes
- January, 2013: Seminar at Hogeschool Zuyd: An introduction to Educational Design Research
- September, 2012: Doctoral seminar at CROSSFIELD, and invited talk at the University of St. Gallen's Institute for Business Education and Educational Management
- June, 2012: Invited seminar at FUNKEN (SPARKS), Dortmund's graduate school on didactical design research
- May, 2012: Keynote at Educational Design Research Conference in Twente
- April, 2012: EDUCAUSE ELI webinar
- February, 2012: Collaboration in India